Thursday 8 August 2013

Do you Dig'it? Dig it up uh oh oh!


Well Hello again Friends!

I am sorry about my delayed post. It’s been go go go...
Upstart is now 2 weeks till launching Granby park, Dublin’s first pop up Park (August 22nd - September  22nd, 2013). eeeEEEK! The weeks are whizzing by! 

The digging and resurfacing of the park is underway as of last week. I was down on Monday for a meeting and its getting there, slowly but surely. It’s a huge site.. I think I may have underestimated the scale of this project! But, Upstart team, if you start to feel the pressure, just play this really cheezy hip hop song about digging and somehow, you just get back to the daily grind!! 


The next 2 weeks are dedicated to getting on site, and building this Beast of a park!
Now, Its about getting the aesthetic of the park right, However, A key focus for Upstart, is that the park is representative of the local people and that the park provides  the community with what they want. So really trying to engage with that now.


A lot of hard work is happening behind the scenes from dedicated project managers, enthusiastic volunteers, and charismatic community folk.
The Media have really connected with the project and hopefully this is helping to get the word out, but you cant beat a bit of word of mouth, so please tell all your family, friends and therapist to check out the park in 2 weeks time OR if you need a bit more info on all of this - click here

Anyway, back to updating you kids,  last week was a silly auld week, with work and my Granby park artistic proposals. Both things, managed to keep me seriously preoccupied. The downfall of this preoccupation, was that I have been less hands on with Community engagement (*Slap on the wrists) but am back on track this week and hope to be out with Community early next.

As mentioned proposals were due last week, The art  theatre and events project managers have received all applications and have selected works that is suitable for the park. (One of my projects has been selected- Hurrah! - I will provide further details on that, in my next post at weekend). 
Inside scoop lads, if your still interested in submitting a theatre piece to perform in Granbys amphitheater - model below. You can still get in touch here . So any of you Fringe fest folk who might want to continue your run in the park? Do get in touch or contact me directly with any questions?  






Finally the most exciting development of Granby park is the start of Trade school Dublin. Trade school is a self organized school where you barter for knowledge. Have a nifty skill to trade for those singing lessons you cant afford? Then trade schools for you!! I know I have put off so many workshops, classes and online courses because I cant afford it. No longer should my bank account determine what knowledge I acquire once Trade school Dublin gets up and running!
Check out more about how it works here!

As I said I will be updating again at the weekend, so till then amigos! 

Ais 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment